Sunday, June 23, 2013

Walter's

Venue: Walter's
Location: 166 Dekalb Ave, Brooklyn, NY
Date of Visit: Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Burger: Walter's Burger
Average Score: 7.6
Price Range: $$$$$

Mike: This week, we took the opportunity to sample the burger at Walter's, in Fort Greene.  Walter's is the sister (or brother) restaurant of Williamsburg's Walter Foods, serving up comfort foods such as fried chicken, French dip, and burgers, of course.  Walter's Burger is a 7 oz. short rib burger with Bibb lettuce, tomato, and pickled red onion atop a toasted brioche toll served with fries and a pickle spear.  You're given an option to add either bacon and/or cheddar for an additional $1 each.  
            I ordered my burger medium and splurged by adding cheese.  After not too long of a wait, our burgers arrived; and mine was smothered in gooey cheddar.  The first bite had a little bit of everything; juiciness and savoriness of the meat, a small about of sharpness from the cheddar, cool crispness of the lettuce, a hint of tartness from the pickled onion, and a subtle crunch from the toasted bun.  It has been a rare occurrence for us that you get all the components in the first bite; so I thought it was worth mentioning.  The patty was prepared closer to mid-rare than to medium, as ordered; but I found it easy to overlook since the meat was so flavorful and juicy without being overly greasy.  It was also balanced really well, both in flavor and quantity, with the other ingredients.  
            I did notice, however, that about a third of the way through, the presence of the pickled onion dwindled a bit.  The tartness returned in full strength with about a third of the burger left.  If the onions had been left as rings atop the burger, rather than chopped, I think there would have been a more even distribution of flavor.  I like the use of Bibb lettuce on this burger because it pairs well with the tartness of the pickled onion and the mild sharpness of the cheddar.  The richness of the brioche roll, combined with the toppings, added a nice complement to the savoriness of the meat and cheese.  It was toasted nicely for a decent crunch on the outside, but remained tender in the center.  It also held up quite well to the grease from the melted cheese and patty.
            Overall, I enjoyed this burger quite a bit.  It was a nice change of pace, seeing as some of the other burgers we've tried lately have fallen short.  Though there were a few things I feel could be improved upon or changed; they were negligible, and not worth dwelling too much over.  I should also add; the french fries were pretty amazing, and I am, by no means, a fry lover.  I would definitely recommend Walter's, and can see myself making a return visit.

Overall Rating: 8.1 

Kenny:  Walking into Walter’s, I started to become very excited to try their burger; or maybe I was just starting to get hungry.  When I arrived, to curb my hunger, I started with the spicy deviled eggs; or should I say deviled egg, as it was just two halves of one egg.  The burger, however, seemed like a much better option and came with a side of fries or a salad if you wanted to pay 3-4 dollars more.  For your information, they don’t do substitutions.  Back to the burger, which is presented on a brioche roll topped with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and pickles for 14 dollars, with the option to add cheese or bacon for an extra dollar each.  So I ordered it medium, with bacon; it was a bacon kind of day.

            After a short wait, the burger arrived with a side of tiny cut fries that were cooked to perfection with the optimum crispiness.  The patty was slightly over cooked but, boy, it was still juicy and flavorful.  The brioche bun paired nicely with the flavor of the meat and maintained its composition for the whole meal.  The lettuce and tomato were fresh and the pickled onions and pickles added a tart flavor that worked to enhance the burger experience.  I did decide to add a bit of ketchup, which added a bit of flavor but did not over power any of the flavors of Walter’s burger composition.  However, the bacon, you can take it or leave it as it only adds a bit of protein with a touch of salt to the burger, but no real flavor.  With or without the bacon, I can’t wait until I have time to try this burger again.


Overall Rating: 7.8  

Jeff: I had Walter’s burger several months back and thought it was good; but, back then, I wasn’t in Burgerler mode. When it was suggested we try it out as a group, I thought it’d be a great experience for the three of us; for it’s been a while since we’ve collectively had a great burger.
            Content wise, the burger has the makings to be very tasty. Boston bibb lettuce, and pickled onions on a brioche bun should mean I’ll be satiated and thinking of nothing else after consumption. I ordered my burger medium with cheddar cheese. When it arrived, my arrived my first bite revealed it was more medium rare than medium. I thought maybe it had gotten switched with either Mike or Kenny's, but theirs didn’t seem to be cooked to order either. That first bite also proved the pickled onions to be prominent; they flavored the burger to where no sauce or condiment should be wanted. The beef tasted good, but due to the onions, I couldn’t tell if it was seasoned beyond salt and pepper; and maybe that’s the point of the onions. With that being said, one may find the onions too much if this burger is ordered without cheese. The cheese here works well in calming down the onions, just as cheese can calm the spice from a hot pepper. While the bun tasted good and looked as though it had been toasted, it wasn’t warm; nor did it hold up well while eating. With the tomatoes, I felt more their texture than tasted their flavor. I think this is just a sign of the times when heirloom or roma tomatoes aren’t used. All-in-all, things are ok with this burger; but I feel something was missing. Maybe if I would’ve eaten my fries more with my burger, they would’ve provided the necessary starch to go with the protein; but I wasn’t that fond of the fries.
           I’m torn with my review of Walter’s; and as you can see, I’m the odd man out on this review. The ingredients are there, but it just didn’t wow me. Yes there are way worse burgers out there and I’ve had them.  But as far as burgers go, there are quite a few decent ones that I’m afraid Walter’s burger shares the company of as well. I deem my satisfaction with a burger on whether or not I crave something else afterwards, which isn’t a good sign. In this case, I had Walter’s steamed duck buns and they didn’t disappoint.

Overall Rating: 7.0
 
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment