Saturday, August 4, 2012

Bring Back My Bonnie

Location: 278 5th Ave., Brooklyn, NY
Date of Visit: Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Burger: Spiced Black Angus Sirloin Burger
Average Score: 8.3
Price Range: $$$$$


Mike:  Located in Park Slope, Bonnie’s Grill has the look and feel of a classic diner permeated with an Americana vibe.  It also has a reputation for serving up one of the best burgers in the city.  So, this week, The Burgerler set out to try the “Spiced Black Angus Sirloin Burger.”
            I ordered my burger medium rare with lettuce, tomato, red onion, sautéed jalapenos, pickles, Canadian bacon, and cheddar cheese.  At Bonnie’s, all of the food is prepared up front behind the bar; so, while I waited for my order, my mouth began to water as I took in all of the tantalizing odors emanating from the grill.  Everything about this burger seemed impeccable once my food had arrived; I couldn’t wait to take that first bite.  The patty was a good size and matched that of the bun perfectly; and all of the toppings were placed and distributed evenly across the burger.  So, I topped off the burger and took a bite.  The beef was juicy, prepared to my liking, and was seasoned pretty well.  It also possessed a touch of char from the grill that added another layer to the overall flavor profile of the burger.  Unlike regular bacon, which tends to dominate with its flavor, the Canadian bacon was subtle and fused well with the beef.  I’m glad I ordered the jalapenos because the beef wasn’t as spicy as I’d hoped.  So the peppers supplied the necessary kick I was looking for out of a “Spiced Black Angus Sirloin Burger.”
            My main problem, and really my only problem, with this burger was the bun.  Though it was the right size and had been toasted, the bottom “half” was much too thin to handle the juices that this burger put out.  There was no amount of toasting that could have held these juices at bay.  The bottom bun had completely dissolved about three bites away from me finishing the burger.  Additionally, the bun held a modest flavor, at best, and could have been fresher.  With a burger as flavorful as this one was, it deserves a bun that can accentuate those flavors; this one did not.
            Ultimately, I really enjoyed this burger, despite the issue with the bun.  Don’t be fooled by what might seem like a low score for such a praiseworthy burger.  In all fairness, the bun was its weak link, and it must be considered.  With that being said, I would definitely return to Bonnie’s for another go, knowing full-well that I may end up with grease on my hands.   

Overall Rating: 7.5

Kenny: I found myself wanting to venture to the heart of park slope to visit Bonnie’s Grill after I saw Peep Meat’s list of the best burgers in New York.  At the top of the list was Bonnie’s Grill.  After a little research, I was intrigued and wanted to go as soon as possible.  Since, Bonnie’s has been appearing on all kinds of burger list, so it was easy choice; time to try their Spiced Black Angus Sirloin Burger.  Here is a Bonus; you can top your burger with almost everything you want for free.  You can choose from lettuce, tomato, red onion, sautéed jalapenos, pickles, Swiss, American, or cheddar for no extra charge. Its two dollars for Canadian bacon, American bacon or avocado and one dollar for caramelized onions or sautéed mushrooms.  In New York, this is almost completely unheard of; even McDonald’s charges 50 cents for cheese.  Then there were the sides; you can choose from a salad, French fries, cup of soup, cup of chili, or their spicy coleslaw.
               Choosing from all the options for toppings, I added lettuce, tomato, American cheese, pickles, red onions and Canadian bacon.  The waiter suggested the Canadian bacon by simply stating that it pairs well with the spicy sirloin burger.  After ordering the burger medium with a side of French fries, we sat and talked about comics and movies until the big burger arrived.  This was a beautiful sight to behold, the patty fit wonderfully between its two bun counter parts.  After adding a bit of ketchup and mustard, I dove right in and I could only think one thing, YUMMY!  This thought kept repeating in my head as I continued eating.  The sirloin patty was cooked a little more than medium, but the flavor of the meat was delicious.  The spices they used to prepare the meat were very prominent and the Canadian bacon added just enough flavor while not overpowering the patty.  The only real downside was that I had a good portion of bun left over.   
            It has been a while since I’ve had a burger that I was actually happy with and Bonnie’s did more than provided me with an excellent burger experience.  Also, the fries where pretty good!

Overall Rating 8.7

Jeff:  I've been to Bonnie's before. It was a couple of years ago, but I can't recall what it was that I ordered then. This time, of course, I ordered their burger, medium rare with cheddar cheese.
              When it arrived it reminded me of what a burger can look like. It arrived with a nice thick patty, ample melted cheese, a decent layering of Canadian bacon, lettuce, tomato, red onions, and a proper bun... this looked good. I went without ketchup or mustard, as I wanted to taste the combination of the Canadian bacon and spiced beef.
                 Wow! This, this was good. The Canadian bacon was subtle yet noticeable. There was a light charred flavor that I'm not sure if it came from the beef or the Canadian bacon. My second bite was more thorough, allowing everything to be savored. The tomato actually had flavor, versus the pink colored bland versions I've had in other establishments. The onion, pickle, beef, and bacon all complimented each other. The cheddar cheese, which at first I thought I might have liked stronger or sharper, was nicely balanced. I can't forget about the bun. The bottom was as thick as the top, and for good reason; it had to support a lot. It was lightly toasted, top and bottom, and tasted great. It fit my patty and it's toppings perfectly. There was no burger overhang and no extra bun extending beyond the circumference of the patty. I will say that my patty seemed cooked a little more well-done than medium-rare, but it was still juicy and delicious. It was like it was cooked on an outdoor grill. This was a damn good burger.
            On my final bite my bottom bun finally gave way. It did its job well, holding everything in place. Oh, and that lovely char taste from before? It's from the beef. There's no way I will forget having had this burger, no way at all.

Overall rating 8.7
 

No comments:

Post a Comment