Saturday, June 16, 2012

New or Old, Who Cares?

New Old Lompoc

1616 NW 23rd Ave
Portland, OR 97210
Score: 3.5
Price Range: $$$$$

Tom: The New Old Lompoc is a long-standing Portland institution, beloved by many, but not all. Recently it has closed for construction and is planning a grand re-opening in the summer of 2013.  In my opinion, the property value increased drastically the second the wrecking ball hit.  I have visited this pub a number of times due to the number of friends who enjoy the grimy building with plumbing and electricity from the 1800’s, the epic amount of time spent waiting to order and finally, the surly wait staff.  With my jaw set, I ordered the Lompoc Burger, determined to put all of our history behind me and give a fair review.  My heart sank a bit as I realized the Lompoc Burger was nothing more than a 1/2lb patty with lettuce, tomato, red onion, and herb mayo with the chance to add cheese for $0.75 and bacon for $1.25.  If you are serving a hamburger, why do you feel the need to rename it?  Or if you are going to rename a simple hamburger wouldn’t it make sense to put your patent spin on it?  No such forward thinking was present, but I was not going to let that mar my review of the cuisine.  Well roughly 1 hour later my “Lompoc Burger” arrived with congealed, sweating cheddar cheese on a soggy mountain of overly fishy Caesar salad with 3 croutons and 1 pepperoncini.  The bacon was overcooked and somehow fibrous and the bun was uncooked and dry.  The meat however was quite good (grass fed, hormone & antibiotic free, Angus ground chuck), good work there I guess.  And finally the wait staff was surly.  If you feel like paying $10 to annoy a waitress for a couple hours to get damp food then the New Old Lompoc is the place for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment