Saturday, December 31, 2011

Industrially Northwest with One Delicious Burger

Venue: Clyde Common
Location: 1014 SW Stark St., Portland, OR
Burger: Hamburger Sandwich + Bacon, Blue Cheese & Egg
Average Score: 7.9
Price Range: $$$$$

Tom: When I first walked into Clyde Common I was a bit hesitant about my burger experience.  The décor and patronage presented the air of a restaurant that might take itself a bit too seriously for a downright delicious burger.  I am an adventurous burger connoisseur but there are times I feel that chefs feel too much pressure to present a fresh take on a classic dish such as a burger.  Clyde Common is a bustling restaurant in the heart of downtown with soaring ceilings and huge bay windows that cast a nice natural light across the whole restaurant.  That, coupled with the open kitchen, give the feel of a 5 star restaurant one might find in any major city; but the large community tables and fresh clippings of local evergreen trees add a Northwest feel to the experience.  One burger was available on the menu with the option of adding cheese, bacon, and egg; I like the ability to customize a burger, but at the same time I find charging extra for something like cheese on a burger is a bit irritating.  The burger arrived perfectly cooked to a mid-rare (always my choice!).  The meat was delicious and obviously freshly ground.  It was a simple set-up with a touch of aioli, fresh lettuce, and pickled onions.  The lightly fried egg made up for any potential dryness associated with a lack of condiments/sauces on the bun and added a wonderful creaminess to the overall burger.  The blue cheese could have been a bit sharper to counter all the richness of the egg and brioche bun but was still quite good.  The only downfalls were the bun to burger ratio and the lack of a good crunch presented by fresh onions or a crisper cut of lettuce.  The fries were perfectly golden and came with stone-ground mustard and a harissa/crème fresh blend, which I quickly decided was not for me.  All around it was a delightful burger and one that I will gladly return to devour again!

No comments:

Post a Comment